Monday, April 25, 2011

Hole in the Rock

We decided since we are in the play, "Hole in the Rock" that we needed to go down to the "hole in the rock"  For those of you who don't know this story the LDS saints back in the late 1800s were called on a mission to settle the San Juan Valley.  They looked for different routes, but this was the Short cut.  It was only supposed to take them 6 weeks, but it ended up taking them 3 months.  They had to blast a hole in this mountain for their wagons to fit through, and then they crossed Lake Powell on a ferry.  Only through their faith, and obedience did they make it.   It's truly a miracle that they were able to make it down this hole.








 We thought we were getting so close, but if you look at the bottom of this picture you can see a boat.  It was TINY, so we only went down about halfway.  It was still absolutely unfathomable that they were able to get their wagons down this hole.
 Brooke carried Solayna down the whole way.  I don't know how he did it with her on his hip, but he's a mountain goat even more so than my boys.
 I took these pictures of the kids with Brooke and wouldn't you know Shianne was screwing off in every picture.  She makes me laugh.
 Look at those crossed eyes.  that's my girl.  Such a cute picture of everyone else, but my crossed eye girl.
 The hike back up was so intense Brooke had to pull Shianne up on a couple of spots.
 The boys loved it.  They are truly hikers.  I don't know how they got up some spots but they did, they were always was ahead of Shianne and I.
 Shianne is SCARED of heights so this hike was quite hard for her.  She did fantastic though, she just went slow.

I believe these are wagon ruts that the saints left behind.  what an amazing miracle for them to be able to get their wagons down through this 'hole'  I think of the faith, courage, obedience and unselfishness they had and realize I have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment